Monday, June 4, 2012

Feeling Sentimental - The Story of Us

Dear Sophia,

I was thinking of the day I met Daddy in person. I'll start from the beginning. One day while I was at school, I was "doing homework" (a.k.a. bumming around Facebook) and I noticed an ad for an LDS singles site called LDSPlanet.com. I checked it out, and ended up signing up for a subscription. Not much came from it while I was at school, but about two months later while I was on Summer break, I received a flirt from another member: "You're beautiful!" When I found it, he happened to be online and I initiated a chat. At the time, he seemed very glum. I had decided that all he needed was a friend, not more than that. The next day, I was on again at the same time he was and we ended up chatting some more. At one point, he said he wasn't big on the whole computer thing so I said he should find something to do. To my surprise, he said he couldn't - what he wanted to do wouldn't work. When I asked him to elaborate, he said he'd really like to take me on a date, maybe a picnic because the weather was nice outside. I thought that was sweet of him, but, as he pointed out, he was pretty sure there was no way he could because I was in Idaho and he was in Iowa.

Thing is, I was actually in Missouri at the time - three hours one way by car. When I told him, he was shocked. We ended up speaking on the phone... for hours and hours. After a few hours on the phone, we already knew we got along very well. At one point, he asked, "What would you say if I asked you to marry me?" My response, after a few moments of silence, was "Tentatively... yes." That was August 18, 2011. By August 20, 2011, he heard me say "Yes." During this time, we were both praying to know that it was right for us to get involved with each other and all we felt was great. On August 21, 2011 he asked how I would feel about him buying me a bus ticket to go and meet him in person. I was ecstatic. That whole week, we talked every minute we could - we couldn't get enough of each other!

On August 26, 2011, a co-worker graciously gave me a ride to the bus station. Due to a misunderstanding over where and when I was supposed to pick up my ticket and itinerary, I ended up without my ticket. I was very emotional. At the bus station, there was a phone number to call. The first person I spoke to told me I'd have to buy another ticket over the phone because I couldn't use the first one. Thankfully, my co-worker was willing to wait with me while I figured things out and called a different, more knowledgeable customer service person who helped me to find out how I could use the ticket Charles had paid for. Ultimately, though, I ended up without much information and I wasn't aware I was supposed to take the bus heading to Kansas City, MO. When I found out, I was devastated. However, with the help of a very nice security guard and my mother, we realized my itinerary included a four-hour layover in KCMO and, as long as I could get there before the bus left, I could pick up at that point in my itinerary.

Because my mother is awesome, she drove all the way to St. Joseph from Cameron to pick me (and a man I'd met who was heading to Wyoming) up and take us to KCMO. The bus station was a little... interesting but I stayed in contact with Charles the whole time. I was SO exhausted it's not even funny. I had worked all day, waited at the bus station for many hours, been in the car for about an hour, then had to wait at the bus station for the bus to arrive (late.) At one point I had to keep standing up so I wouldn't fall asleep.

Finally, the bus arrived and I got on. I was so relieved. I told Charles I was going to try to sleep on the bus and I would see him soon. Ahh! I was so excited.  My sleep was not great - I kept waking up and at every bus stop I was anxious about making sure I was always on the right bus in the right place.

After what seemed like forever, I woke up surrounded by Iowa State University. The last text I got from Charles was "Are you in a big bus?" I didn't answer. My heart was fluttering as I watched the tall, anxious man waiting on the sidewalk at the bus stop. I could tell he was trying to look through the windows to see me, but they were tinted. I grabbed my belongings, headed to the front of the bus, then climbed down the steps. Charles didn't have to ask if it was me - our eyes locked as soon as he could see me. I grabbed my other bag from underneath the bus then went right over to him, shaking like a leaf the whole time. Our first kiss happened there, at that bus stop, and the rest is history.

It's weird now to think about a time when Charles wasn't a part of my life. It's just so natural to be with him - and so weird to be without him that when I'm out with anyone else, I say things only he would get and put myself in awkward situations. I can't even tell you how many people I've come close to kissing as a show of appreciation or love. Oops!

Anyway, Sophia, that's how it happened - and now we have you on the way. We love you sweetie. We are so grateful for the opportunity to have you in our lives, if only for a short while. Just know that you are a product of love - love for each other, from our Heavenly Father, and for you. Thank you for coming.

Sincerely,
Mommy.


No comments:

Post a Comment